Saturday, February 10, 2007

A little bit of everything -advice on pawsonal training

Well everypup- I think my mom is jinxed. She and dad left early this morning to do the usual Saturday errands and didn't get back til late. My mom was perfectly fine when she left the house. When she returned, it looked like her whole left side of her face had been in some horrible accident. She has a very large road rash over her left eye. She has a scratch under her nose, across her nose where her glasses go and her eyelid is so swollen and black and blue she can barely see. She was walking out of a store to go to the car. One minute she's on her feet and the next moment she's kissing the asphalt. She scraped her glasses really bad (not to mention her face) and since the eye glass place was open late, she went and got a new pair (actually just like the old pair) ordered. She's had ice packs on the eye 20 minutes out of the hour since she got home. At least she got me that new EVO food (kibble and canned). I got a nice ox-tail for breakfast this morning. She also picked up liver and turkey necks at the butchers. I also was given yogurt again. I love that stuff! It's kind of like ice cream. Mom says we are still planning to go to the bark park tomorrow. When mom and dad got home today, mom let me in the house. Dad was still bringing in stuff from the car. Mom went out to get some stuff and dad opened the door and didn't tell me stay like mom does so I ran for it. Dad didn't scream like he usually does. Mom went to get the leash and my puperonies. I just went as far as the house on the corner of the cul de sack and barked at those guys and then came back to my dad. He was really happy about that.

Now- where my mom works they are having a pool to see who can loose the most weight between Feb 9th and May 25th. Each person entering has to pay $5.00. The person who looses the most gets 2/3 of the pot, the 2nd place winner 1/3 of the pot. The person who gained the most gets a gift certificate from Stone Cold Creamery (they have ice cream type stuff)- not sure if that's fair! Anyhow, when you put in your $5, you get weighed. Mom weighed less that she thought and is really excited about winning this pool by loosing the most weight. She already does the 4 round trips at the bark park. I was wondering if anyone out there had any other ideas to help her loose the weight. She has assigned me to be her pawsonal trainer. So if you can think of anything, let me know. Thanks.

C-K-C (who doesn't care if mom looks like a car wreck, as long as she brings the food)

21 comments:

Tin Tin Blogdog said...

Oooh Charlie, your poor mom. I hope her face gets better.

Now that pool sounds like a great incentive to drop some weight. Trottin' around the bark park is a good start with your good self is a great start.

Also, it would be good for your mom to have a clear image in her head of how she wants to look, ie a picture of a slimmer version of herself, and then visualise this regularly.

Never underestimate the power of our thoughts.

Chow for now,

Tin Tin xo

Charlie Kelley-Church said...

Thanks Tin Tin- I will try to do the Jedi mind thing to help her see a skinnier self.

C-K-C

Oscar's mummy and daddy said...

Owie, poor mum! Hope she's feeling better.
Licks
Oscar x

e said...

CKC
oh dear, hope mummy gets better soon.
That 'lose-weight' pool seems like a fab idea! Eve is also assigning me to be her pawsonal trainer. Im supposed to go jogging with her like Pacco does with her mummy.

How many oxtails a week do you get?
love
Fei

Studly Dudley said...

Hello my love!

Ouch, it sounds like your Mum is as accident prone as mine. It's funny how boomans think they're so great yet the lack the agility of us lovely canines :p Such irony.. yet, I'll be quiet about it because you're right, as long as they bring home the bones it's okay!

Tell her good luck with trying to lose weight! Mum says that running can be a good way to cut down calories but it can be hard on your knees and ankles if you run consistently on concrete. Plus, it's kind of boring!! Power walking is just as good though and less hard on your joints. Mum has tried running and hates it though.. and hates the gym.. what a lazy pooch.. BUT she's found something she really likes!
Try checking local fitness centres or gyms to see if they offer cardio kickboxing classes because they're lots of fun!! Or even try a video from the library first to see if you like it. It's good for lazy exercisers because it doesn't seem like you're doing any work.

Trust me, as a lazy boodog I also concur that exercise that barely feels like work is a good thing.

Anyway CKC make sure you walk those laps with your Mum at the bark park! Post photos.. it has been far too long since I've seen my voluptuous Valentine!

Love licks,
your STudly Dudley

Charlie Kelley-Church said...

Oscar- Thanks. Mom is seeing somewhat better out of her left eye but she looks like she took purple eyeshadow and made herself into a purple raccoon on the left side of her face. She's grateful that she has no eye damage.

Fei- I get what Sunshade calls meaty bones (ox tail, turkey neck) every morning and then my EVO at night. I also get yogurt or pumpkin and yogurt from some times.

Studly Dudley- blush, blush. I think mom is more the walking type. Kickboxing class requires some agility, which my mom doesn't have else she wouldn't have gotten hurt the way she did. She does have a couple of "walk a mile" tapes and a pilates tape. I think she is going to start doing those again. The pilates tape is hard for her cause it requires that she get down on the floor and with bad knees that is not easy.

C-K-C

Fu Fu said...

Oh Dear, I hope your mum is ok now.. Is her eye ok?

~ fufu

Charlie Kelley-Church said...

Fu Fu- just imagine a purple/black raccoon around the left eye. No internal damage but you can tell when she passes people- they go "gasp" "What happened"

C-K-C

Pippin, the Gentle Pup said...

Oh dear, C-K-C--give your mom lots of licks. That sounds awful.

We eat the EVO food too--just a little mixed in because our people realized that we eat about 10 lbs of food a week and that EVO is a little on the pricey side for feeding 6. Our people are almost over their weird worry about giving us raw chicken bones--pray for us.

Make your mom give you two 30 minute walks a day--one in the a.m. and one in the p.m. That helped our person lose weight. Oh, and you should tell her to give you the extra food she *would* be eating if she weren't losing weight (but my person said she'd rather have the ice cream gift card than lose weight....)

See ya
Pippin

Rosco the wonder mutt said...

Sorry bout your mom's eye...that must've hurt! As for losing weight, you and your mom should do what me and my mom do! She takes me for a bike ride, I heel next to her bike while she rides. A good way for everyone to get buff!

Lots of love,
Rosco

Charlie Kelley-Church said...

Thanks Roscoe but my mom can barely ride her bike. She has a 3 speed and can't change gears. She wobbles all over. My 5 year old neighbor can ride better than mom. I don't think me being attached to her bike also would make it any better and I am not allowed out without being on leash except at the bark park. Maybe she could take bike riding lessons.


C-K-C

Tansy said...

My sympathy to your mom, Charlie. I often wonder why our people walk on two feet when four are much more stable and efficient. They are quite a mystery to me at times!

I usually take my person on a walk twice a day. (For my first four years I was not allowed to take anyone for a walk, anywhere. Therefore I very much enjoying doing so now.) That seems to help with human fitness. Smaller dishes, whole grains, and tea with skim milk in the evening are also good for my people. I quite enjoy a good dog stretch, forwards and back, several times a day.

Best quiet woofs,
Tansy

Charlie Kelley-Church said...

Tansy- thanks. My mom already only does whole grains. She likes tea but takes it straight. Maybe I can get her to do dog stretches!

Butchy & Snickers- mom loves veggies. She would rather have veggies than rice and pasta. I think she needs to get her but moving more.

C-K-C

The Army of Four said...

Hi Charlie! Oh, your poor mama! I hope she's feeling better. Tansy made a really good point about bipeds only walking on two legs. I wonder about that myself sometimes!
Good luck to your mom on losing weight!
Love,
Amber

Ivy said...

oh poor mom! give her lots of luvvy licks. that will help her get better.

my favorite exercise is chasing skwerrels. just take your mom to the park and tell her that she has to chase skwerrels until she can outrun them and beat them to theyr trees.

if she dozent want to do that... well that ice cream stuff certificate does sound like a better prize anyway!

happy valendogs day to you c-k-c!
luv ivy

Tigersan said...

Me hopes there is no pain. All is well that heals well!

Happy Valentine's Day :)

Cairo The Boxer said...

Happy Valentines Day!!!

Isabella said...

Oh no! Your poor mom! I hope her face is getting better. Maybe you need to go everywhere with her so you can catch her next time she falls.

My Human lost 60 lbs. pretty fast on the lo-carb diet. For a couple of months she cut almost all carbs out and really got a big start.

Happy Valentine's Day!
Isabella

Opy - the Original GruffPuppy said...

Happy Valentines Day, sweet C-K-C :-)

Big hugs and kisses,

Opy

PS - hope your mum is feeling better.

Peanut said...

Oh your poor mom. Glad she wasn't hurt worse then that. My mom is trying to lose weight too. So far she has lost 11 lbs in 5 weeks. My mom is doing weigh watchers though. Plus exercising more. She got these exercise videos and when she does them I have to go in my kennel because otherwise I try to bite her feet. I'm not to happy about that but hey if it allows her to walk me longer later then that is good. My mom says good luck to your mom

Marvin -The Hollow Hound said...

so sory to hear about your Mum's accident. It must have been so sore too!

thinking of her! love and licks Marv xxxxx